Friday, July 09, 2010

mounting none on /dev failed: No such device

If you're experiencing this error message at boot in Linux (e.g., after you recompiled the kernel in Ubuntu Lucid)

mounting none on /dev failed: No such device

don't be scared, the boot will continue and there'll be no problem (at least, I read in some posts); I never experienced problems even with this error at boot.
But if you want to get rid of it, just make sure that you have

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y

in your .config file of your kernel source directory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't work for me. I'm trying to use Zumastor(kernel kernel 2.6.24) in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Any solutions for this?

betto said...

I personally don't...

but this message should not prevent the system from booting, so you could ignore it, couldn't you?

Anonymous said...

I have installed the Xen 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04. I have the same problem when i boot the Dom0 kernel.

Pls help me to get rid of this............