Friday, July 09, 2010

mounting none on /dev failed: No such device

If you're experiencing this error message at boot in Linux (e.g., after you recompiled the kernel in Ubuntu Lucid)

mounting none on /dev failed: No such device

don't be scared, the boot will continue and there'll be no problem (at least, I read in some posts); I never experienced problems even with this error at boot.
But if you want to get rid of it, just make sure that you have


in your .config file of your kernel source directory.


Anonymous said...

It doesn't work for me. I'm trying to use Zumastor(kernel kernel 2.6.24) in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Any solutions for this?

betto said...

I personally don't...

but this message should not prevent the system from booting, so you could ignore it, couldn't you?

Anonymous said...

I have installed the Xen 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04. I have the same problem when i boot the Dom0 kernel.

Pls help me to get rid of this............