Finally, I managed to connect to the Internet with my Nokia 6630 in Linux Kubuntu; it's not that I had troubles before: it's just that I had never had to connect with the cellphone, and I must admit that I quite appreciated that it was really easy and straightforward to this :-)
Actually, first I had tried with the bluetooth way and thanks to many documentation found on the web, I succeeded, though the procedure might not be trivial. However, in that case, I noticed that the connection was not reliable and not very fast. So I decided to buy a (quite expensive for what it does) USB cable (it's just a usb cable... why does it cost 20 euros?!).
Well, with USB the procedure is even more trivial: you just connect it and you'll see that dmesg happily reports this:
[ 149.162045] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2Isn't it nice? It correctly detects the modem and creates a device for it!
[ 149.207194] usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 149.461122] cdc_acm 3-2:1.8: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 149.463589] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 149.463594] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
ll /dev/ttyACM0So you'll just have to configure your dialup tool using that specific modem. In particular I use kppp, and I have a TIM connection, so I created a new modem using /dev/ttyACM0 and setting as INIT 2 string the following one:
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 2008-12-24 17:28 /dev/ttyACM0
AT+cgdcont=,"ip","ibox.tim.it"and as for the telephone number *99# (username and password are not used, so you can use dummy ones). Here are some screenshots: